Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Breakfast Casserole

When I was a kid, Sunday breakfasts were a big deal.  While I honestly don't remember what I would eat before going to school, Sunday was the day my dad would make home fries and scrambled eggs and sausage and we'd feel so fancy because we ate brunch.  I still get the warm and fuzzies for Sunday brunch but I'm still working on timing my cooking so everything comes out hot and ready at the same time.  Enter the breakfast casserole.  It takes a little prep time but then you mix it all together, pop it in the oven and out comes a piping hot dish of deliciousness.



This casserole is adapted from one I found on myrecipes.com

Ingredients:
(all measurements are approximate as this was a "clean out the fridge meal")

half a bag of frozen shredded hash browns
1 cup of breakfast meat
1/4 cup chopped onion
1 broccoli crown cut into bite-sized pieces
1 cup shredded cheese
4 eggs
1 cup cream (milk is fine)
generous sprinkle of crushed red pepper flakes

Spray some Pam in a 8x8 casserole dish.  Preheat your oven to 350.
Brown your breakfast meat in a large frying pan.  This time I used bacon and you want it to get a nice color but not get too crisp because it cooks in the oven.  Toss it in a big bowl.  Using half the bacon grease and the same pan, toss in the onions and let them soften.  Add your hash browns and stir them occasionally to help get them warm.  Liberally salt and pepper your hash browns.  Once warm, toss them in the bowl with the bacon.  Using the rest of the bacon grease, warm up your broccoli.  Once it starts to green up and get a little soft, toss it in the bowl with your hash browns and bacon and add the red pepper flakes.  In a smaller bowl, beat your eggs and cream together.  Combine your egg mix with the shredded cheese and sauteed goodies in the big bowl and pour into the casserole dish.
Bake for about 30 minutes in the oven.  Serve with hot sauce.

It reheats well so we've been eating on it all week.




1 comment:

  1. This is why I wish I liked eggs. I think I may need to give them another try... just in cases.

    ReplyDelete