Monday, February 18, 2013

Caramel Apple Croissant French Toast

This is another recipe inspired by the things that I had no idea what to do with in my house. The leftover caramel sauce from the brownies was taunting me from the fridge and I had an inspiration.


Ingredients
croissants
egg
milk or cream
cinnamon
nutmeg
apple
caramel sauce
maple syrup


Whisk the egg, cream, cinnamon and nutmeg together in a bowl. Slice the croissant in half, and dip the halves in the egg mixture.

The croissant didn't soak up the egg mixture very well, as you can see from the dry-looking croissant in the pan. I am not sure if they were not fresh and soft enough, or if the egg mixture was too thick, but it would have been tastier if they were more absorbent.


I fried up the bread, but watch out because the outsides brown really quickly. On the second pair I tried putting a little brown sugar in the batter, and it was good but I should have gone a little heavier and they wouldn't have even needed syrup!


I mixed the caramel sauce and maple syrup together, and they were a great compliment to the chopped apples and French toast. All in all, this was very good, but I don't think croissants make ideal toast candidates. It was kind of just like crispy croissant toast, which while awesome, doesn't have the same character as French toast with it's creamier center.

No comments:

Post a Comment